Sunday, January 17, 2010

Feeling the Love

Aside from being swept off my feet (literally) by the Phanatic at a party last night, it's been a rough week for Kim (so rough that I'm referring to myself in the third person to avoid reliving the angst). We had the NJDOT debacle. The allergy attacks. The burdensome workload. The computer issues.

But there were a few shining lights:
  1. Freakin' Angel Kim G. had a baby boy (Weston James) on Friday
  2. Got my groove on to the Glee soundtrack thanks to a loan from Freakin' Angel Cathie
  3. Spent most of Saturday with my Mom and Dad
Now anyone who has had a parent (that means you), knows that spending time with the folks is not always the highlight of our day/week/month. But yesterday was one of those wonderful days where I was feeling the love.

Why? Because my parents were thrilled to see me. You don't realize how infrequently someone is really thrilled to see you until someone is. Feeling so loved and appreciated is an amazing and unfortunately rare thing.

I'm incredibly blessed because my parents are so open about their feelings. They remind me often how proud they are of me. They seem to genuinely enjoy my company. They like my writing, they think I'm funny, and they tell me I'm beautiful. Yes, they're completely biased, but how tremendous is it to feel that much love?

I wonder, did they always love me this much and I'm just noticing now? Or is this new on their part?

I think it's a combination of things:
  1. I'm no longer subjecting them to terroristic battles with my sister, tears over my latest broken heart, or dramatic meltdowns in which "I demand my rights." This makes me infinitely more lovable.
  2. I no longer see them every day or even every week. There's certainly an element of absence making the heart grow fonder.
  3. I don't think we're capable of recognizing and appreciating our parents' love until we're all grown up.
  4. I'm a parent now, too.
As a mom, I pray that my children will someday recognize and feel deep within, the tremendous love I have for them. It's without question the greatest gift my parents have ever given me.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is sweet. I'm crying. Amy

Tammy Hetzel said...

Of course your parents are proud of you - you are caring, loving person with a great sense f humor and a love of God. Thanks for sharing - you an amazing Freakin' Angel!

RevBecca said...

Now I'm going to have to call my parents...