Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Power of a Good Looking Doctor


It just so happens that the two doctors I've had for most of my teen through adult life have been attractive men. And perhaps the pediatrician I had as a baby was also good looking but I was too distracted by that thermometer up my butt to take notice. Anyway, yesterday I saw my family doctor. He's not exactly Dr. McDreamy, but he's cute and personable enough to make it a pleasure to keep my appointments. And because of this, I have a theory: If everyone in America had a good looking doctor of the opposite sex (unless of course, you're more attracted to the same sex), we'd be a much healthier country.

Here's my rationale:

  1. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you're attracted to your doctor you're not likely to miss an appointment, including those regular checkups that we otherwise ignore. The more often we see the doctor, the less likely we are to be caught unaware by some dreadful disease or condition. An attractive female MD is especially important for heterosexual men who are particularly doctor-averse.
  2. Staying "Fit as a Fiddle." If you're attracted to your doctor you're more likely to keep yourself in shape. Who wants to see McDreamy with high blood pressure and increased cholesterol levels? Who wants to strip down for the Doc after the nurse weighs you and you've gained ten pounds since your last appointment? No, you want to be at your very best. A good looking doctor may be more effective for weight loss than WeightWatchers or Jenny Craig (unless your WeightWatchers or Jenny Craig leader is good looking and then the same theory applies).
  3. When You Look Good, You Feel Good. The day of your appointment with hunky/hot doctor you are more likely to take extra care with your appearance, and we all know that when we look our best, we also feel our best. So imagine what a good day you're going to have at work, at home, in the grocery store, etc., all because you have a good looking doctor.
I bet if we did a scientific research study on this topic we would find that my theory holds true. So I encourage you all to get yourself a good looking doctor pronto. Here's to your good health!

    2 comments:

    Terry Castle said...

    I'm doctorphobic. Perhaps this would work for me. I don't know though I get all barfy and sweaty just walking into a doctor's office.

    Emily said...

    For years I had a totally hot eye doctor and it was a competition between my mom and me as to who loved him more. I swooned when he shined a light in my eyes and looked deep into my soul through the large eye microscope thingy. Ahhhh. I get misty just thinking about him. I totally agree with everything you have here. Except... best not to be sweet on your gynocologist. That's just icky. :)