Monday, January 11, 2010

Gastronomical Reflections

When we weren't braving the record-setting low temperatures in Key West this past weekend, Rob and I were forced to spend our time indoors, eating and drinking. Heck, even the movie theater served food, beer and wine! (I recommend seeing "Invictus," btw). During breakfast at Blue Heaven, a funky spot with chickens in the yard, an eclectic mix of furnishings, and outstanding food, Rob remarked that it might be among his top 10 most memorable dining experiences. That led to a discussion about other memorable spots and even with my horrible long-term memory, I was able to name a few - ALL of which are from my childhood which means that Rob really needs to take me out more. Among my favorites, in no particular order:
  • Youell's Oyster House on College Hill in Easton, PA (sadly no longer there and the other location was never as good)
  • Crossroads Hotel in Hellertown, PA - best pizza, steak sandwiches and pitchers of beer around - and no atmosphere to speak of unless you count the big fish on the wall
  • The Ritz at the Allentown Fairgrounds* - I remember going there for ice cream with my parents when I was little
  • The Shanty* in Allentown - a really good salad bar, and that's saying something since I don't even eat veggies!
  • Yocco's - the infamous hot dog chain in the Lehigh Valley. Memories of "meals" complete with deep fried pierogies with my aunts and Nana
  • The Paddock* in Allentown - another classic pizza spot
*I haven't been to these places in years and cannot attest to whether they're still any good or even still exist!

What this list goes to show is that 1) I have low-brow taste when it comes to restaurants and 2) It's a miracle my cholesterol, blood pressure, and weight aren't through the roof.

Tomorrow, I'll add to this post with the story of my newest and most unique dining experience ever. A tale of dark corners, icy drafts, and seriously big beef!

Meanwhile, share your most memorable dining experiences or spots with the rest of our Freakin' Angel readers.

3 comments:

BHaasTSD said...

No mention of Jimmy Dogs? Are you sure you're from Easton?

Mark said...

Conspicuous by their absence:

1) Richard's Drive In

2) Steve's Pizza (my all time fave and I'm hungry just thinking about it right now)

3) The Palmer Dairy Bar

4) The 1818 Tavern (great steamed clams)

5) The Aspen Inn - I've heard it's no longer with us. It was a go to "date" restaurant

6) Uncle Wesley's in Easton: Some of the best burgers around.

Good topic Kim.

A "Freakin' Angel" said...

Mark, you are so right! Other than the Aspen Inn, I had many, many meals at the others you listed. In fact, I heard the O.J. Simpson verdict at Uncle Wesley's.