Monday, February 15, 2010

The Day I Decided to Take Up Drinking

Rather than using this post to fully develop one particular idea, I think I 'm just going to use it to sound off on a variety of thoughts I'm having right now. Bear with me or feel free to check back in a few days when I've focused in on something you might find more enjoyable.


Random Musings
  1. Based on his recent 11-year-old behavior/mood/personality, I'm not sure Ian is going to actually live to see the teen years. What has gotten into my heretofore golden boy? Someone get him a Midol stat. 
  2. My weekend in Harvey Cedars was terrific. As it always is. Except for all the babies that I drove to tears. 
  3. The Freakin' Angels finally got a most-of-the-group picture. Kim G. wants it noted that she is not in her FA shirt because her husband lost it after I gave it to him to give to her. That's okay, Kim, we still know you're an angel.
  4. I have some thoughts about sea shells that I think are rather poignant, so you have that to look forward to in a later post...when I'm in the mood to talk about sea shells. Which I'm not right now.
  5. My cat has twice missed the mark when trying to jump up to the table or counter and my dog has an eye infection. 
  6. A "Luxury pet resort" is only luxury when you upgrade from the standard suite. Total BS if you ask me.
  7. I have decided to give up Tang Soo Do and take up drinking instead. Ah, you knew it was coming, didn't you? You knew there was an issue I was just itching to address. Yep. It's that damn black belt test on Saturday. E Dan. 2nd degree.What the heck was I thinking when I agreed to this? It's actually costing me money in addition to my sanity, self-esteem, and entire sense of well-being. 
See here's the thing. I'm not being modest when I say I 'm not very good at the martial arts. I'm really not. I've got a great round house and ax kick, but that's about it. I really don't feel deserving of a second degree black belt. I've had this battle discussion with my instructor and he insists I wouldn't be testing if he didn't believe I was deserving and qualified, but our ideas of deserving and qualified are very different. I think there's a right and wrong. A correct and incorrect. You're one or the other. He takes a much more subjective approach that works in my favor, but doesn't work for my confidence. He notes that I'm the best 40 year-old woman student in our school. I happen to know that I'm the ONLY 40-year-old woman in our school. Needless to say, that's not exactly motivational. What happens when I encounter another 40-year-old in the streets and she kicks my ass?


I'm throwing the Tang Soo Do "indomitable spirit" tenet out the window and I'm going to focus my energies instead on "wine and spirits." I think if train real hard I can be the best drinker in my neighborhood by the time I'm 45. Now that's an accomplishment to include in the Christmas letters!

5 comments:

BHaasTSD said...

I invite you down to the WTSDA world championships in July to show you that it is possible to be both an accomplished martial artist and an accomplished drinker. And if you don't test I think you'll have to worry about more than a 40 year old woman wanting to kick your ass. Stop whining, trust your instructor (he's higher rank for a reason) and do your test.

cabogirl said...

Can't wait to read your upcoming post about seashells....sounds fascinating. As does your future Christmas letter. I have a lot to look forward too!

A "Freakin' Angel" said...

Cabogirl, it's so nice to hear from you! And Ben, you've scared me, so I guess I'm testing. See, if I was a true black belt, your threat wouldn't phase me!

RevBecca said...

I'm feeling you on the tween challenges (#1) and pet woes (#5)! My 14-year-old Meeka seems to have a bad hip (arthritis, I'm told)--I used to yell when she jumped on the table or counters. Now I feel soory for her and pick her up to place her on those once-forbidden surfaces! I've always been a cat person, but I think I may be crossing a line!

Cheryl Smith said...

That's fantastic on many counts. I have a 14 year old, 12 year old and soon to be 12 (blended family) and 9 year old. I feel your pain! I often say about one child, "it's a good thing he's so sweet or he'd be dead by now."

Cheers!

And welcome to High Calling Blogs!