Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Real Freakin' Angel

This weekend is our annual Media Presbyterian Church Family Retreat to Harvey Cedars, NJ. We always look forward to this weekend of learning, laughter, friendship and faith. This year our exodus (an excellent word choice when discussing a church retreat, eh?) out of town will be even more exciting because we've all been cooped up in Siberia with our families for what seems like weeks. I'm particularly looking forward to spending time with several of the Freakin' Angels: Jamie, Cathie, Cara, Andria, Karen, and Kim G.

I think it's about time to properly introduce you to the Freakin' Angels. In my very first blog post I explained where the name came from, but now I'd like to start profiling individual Angels. I just hope the police and the TSA don't start using these profiles against us, singling out Freakin' Angels for random acts of kindness. But I digress.

My Freakin' Angel for February is Kim G., recent birthday girl and new mom (for the third time) of Weston James (the little Angel in white with his mommy who's doing a good job keeping him from being lost in a snowbank).

Where do I start in describing Kim? She's practically too good to be true (which irritates the mere mortal Angels like me). Did you ever meet someone so kind, thoughtful, considerate, and well-liked that you wanted to be that person? I used to look at people like Kim and wonder, "Why can't I be more like her? Everyone likes her. She's so NICE." Eventually I gave up on that and realized that my place in this world is to be a smart ass, but again, I digress. Back to Kim.

I asked her fellow FAs to tell me what makes Kim an angel, and these were some of their comments:
"There are many words that I would use to describe Kim but the one that is popping into my head right now is real. The first time I had a conversation with Kim, I walked away thinking, now that is someone who is genuinely a good person."
"Kim is one of the most reliable people I know! She invests her life into loving her family, friends and the church. She shares her love not merely through her words but through her actions.  Kim is able to see a need before it is even spoken and respond!"
"Kim anticipates needs before we even know that there are needs. She knows your thoughts before you get a chance to speak them. She's always there for you, sharing a smile, laugh or most embarrassing moment, and she doesn't judge."
"Kim G. is the very definition of an angel here on earth.  She is genuine, caring, kind, and compassionate, and would do anything, and I mean truly anything, for a friend.  But what makes her extra-special is that she would do -- and does -- these things for those whom she doesn't even know.  THAT is my definition of an angel."
Clearly I haven't embellished when I say Kim is one of those people you aspire to be more like. She really is a Freakin' Angel. I take my wings off to you, Kim G.!

And now, dear readers, I welcome you to tell us about a Freakin' Angel in your life. We can all use the inspiration these angels provide!
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My fav Harvey Cedars experience involved Mark Boyd and red punch.

Kathy Weber said...

Ok--so Kim S. I missed giving you my thoughts on Kim G.--I have to agree with all that has been said and give a few more myslef. She truly is an angel and 100% responsible for bringing all of the rest of you freakin angels into my life. She is one of the most welcoming and loving women I know. If it were not for Kim, I would not be in our Bible study--she welcomed me with not only open arms but embracing arms. So thanks Kim--we love you!

Anonymous said...

This Freakin Angel does sound pretty darn terrfic. I shore would like to meet her some day. . . Actually I have met all the Freakin Angels at one time or another and have always felt pretty fortunate that my Freakin Angel has so many good friends. Friends that you can see the love of Christ in. Friends that you know are encouraging, and available. I guess that might be how you describe a Freakin Angel.

Kim G. said...

Wow...Kim, I feel like I should say something, but I have no idea how to follow that. What an incredibly kind (and forgiving) description of me...I know my husband and kids would beg to differ with this sometimes!

It's easy to be a great person when you are surrounded by fabulous people. Thanks for being a terrific friend and talented smart-ass writer.