Monday, November 15, 2010

When it Comes to Unconditional Love, Nothing Beats a Grandparent

Grandma, Ian, and Granddad MacPherson
This past weekend would have been my father-in-law's 80th birthday. Robert MacPherson Sr. died of cancer in 2003, much, much too soon for family and friends who will always miss this terrific man. Bob/Granddad was a character. Sometimes the kind of character whose goofy jokes, overly lengthy driving directions, and noisy debates over silly stuff would make you roll your eyes, but mostly he was the kind of character that brought joy and laughter to those around him. He was especially great with his grand kids--Jordan, Spencer, Ian, and Abby. Abby wasn't even two when he passed, but at age 4 1/2, Ian had a little more time to get know him. Granddad would drive over here from South Jersey just to babysit, not so secretly enjoying his first and only grandson. Today we see a lot of Granddad in Ian's quick wit and desire to make those around him laugh.

Grandparents are such an incredible gift to a child. My PopPop was one of my favorite people in the whole world (I shared about his amazing handwritten letters in "For Love of a Letter"), and I enjoyed visits with my Nana well into her 90s. As for my Grandpy, I will always remember the sweet smell of sawdust from his wood shop and I still have the furniture he built for me as a child which now has found a home in Abby's bedroom. I lost my Grandma when I was just three or four years-old, yet I still hold a memory of the kitchen cupboard in which she kept the Archway molasses cookies.
 
While Rob and I enjoyed a quick getaway last weekend, my kids enjoyed some special time with my mom (Nana). They managed to go for four whole days without fighting like banshees, refusing to eat what was offered for dinner, or being openly hostile and chock full of attitude. It's amazing how grandparents bring out the best in your kids. Best of all is the time Abby and Nana had for bonding. While Ian has always been quick to show emotion and loves easily and openly, Abby is rather stingy with her affection. If Abby expresses her love, you know it's 100% genuine and heartfelt. During this visit, Abby was Nana's best friend. They did everything together, including snuggling in bed to watch television. To call home and hear my mom's delight at this time they were spending together was almost as good as my getaway itself.

I have friends and extended family whose children have no relationship with their grandparents and that breaks my heart. I know personally how much richer a child's life is for having had their grandparents in it. If your life was or is blessed by a grandparent, your assignment for today is to either call that special person to say "I love you," or to say a prayer, thanking God for the gift that they were to your life.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I couldnt agree more with this post. I get somuch pleasure out of watching my parents enjoy my children. Adn when my grandmother was alive, her interaction with her GREAT grandchildren was one of the most gratifying experiences of my life. Great post Kim.

Weston's mom said...

As usual...great post. I consider myself fortunate to have varying experiences with grandparents and I know wholeheartedly the time of grandparent I want to be when my turn comes. I loved my maternal grandfather so much...and always wanted to name a child after him but he HATED his name and had always made it clear that he wanted NO namesakes, which always made me sad. A few years ago, my mom found a diary page of his where he was complaining about his name (Elmer) and how he soooo wished that instead of being named after his Uncle Elmer, he had been named after his other uncle....Weston. Bingo! :)

BHaasTSD said...

We decided to move back to PA from Rhode Island for just this reason; we wanted Mick to know his grandparents. As much as we loved Rhode Island I don't regret the decision for a minute.